Every 13 seconds in Canada, property theft occurs costing the average Canadian homeowner $2,400 in lost valuables and damage, according to a recent report. Protect your family, home and yourself from criminals with these seven simple theft prevention tips.
- Get to know your neighbours and join a local Neighbourhood Watch group through your local police station. This will ensure that it’s easier to pick out strangers in your area.
- An estimated 79% of thieves walk right into a home through an unlocked window or door. Stay safe by keeping all doors and windows locked up, even when you’re at home.
- Illuminate your house with outdoor lighting. Criminals will be deterred by placing motion sensory floodlights around your front and back yards, sidewalks, and near the garage.
- Walk the parameter of your home from a thief’s point of view. Try to look for any objects that could break a window or door, and move any expensive electronics, art, or furniture that is easily spotted from the windows.
- Make sure your valuables are locked up in a home safe.
- Never hide your house key outside under the flowerpot or doormat. Instead, give a key to a trusted friend or neighbour. If you must hide a key, use a combination lockbox instead.
- Keep lights or a radio on when you leave your home to make it look like someone’s there. Most thefts take place when the home is unoccupied, and thieves will probably move on if they think someone’s there.
- Install a home security system. Many modern systems let you check up on your home or change settings through a mobile app.
Have questions about how to protect your home?
Contact us today to ensure that your home is protected from thieves and any other threats.