Water damage is one of the top insurance claims for homes, and repairs can be extremely expensive and hard to eliminate. Preventing spring water damage and looking for potential problems before they occur should be a priority for every homeowner. Below are a few tips to make sure your home is protected from the damage water can cause as the ice and snow melt away.
Inside your home
Look for the telltale signs that water may be seeping in and get to the root of the problem before significant damage can occur:
- Check hoses for kinks and cracks when you do laundry and replace your washing machine hose ever 5 years with a high-pressure hose
- Check for water-stains on ceilings and walls in all areas of the house
- Cracks in concrete floors that have increased in size or are showing discoloration
- Signs of mould and mildew under windows and near baseboards
- Damp smells and musty odours
- Check that your sump pump is working, and have it repaired if necessary. If you don’t have one, consider getting one
Around your foundation
Prevent problems before they happen:
- Remove snow from around the foundation to a place where it can melt and drain away
- Make sure your downspouts extend so they discharge meltwater at least two metres from your foundation
- Check window wells for seepage and ensure the window wells are clear of any debris
On your roof
Make sure your roof is ready for the change of season:
- Check for leaks in the attic, on the upper floors and in the basement
- Look for icicles on the edge of your roof: they’re a clear sign of ice dams on the roof, and ice dams mean a leaky roof
- Clean out roof gutters of any debris as soon as that is possible so meltwater can flow to the downspouts
Don’t let the transition from winter ruin your enjoyment of the fine weather and the even warmer days yet to come. Look for problems before they occur; act sooner rather than later to avoid greater expense.
Make sure that your property, automobiles and RV’s are insured properly. Review the coverages with a specialist at Access Insurance Group. Get advice, a quote or make a change anywhere in Alberta or in person at one of our locations in Edmonton, Stony Plain, Red Deer, Lacombe, and Lloydminster.