Firework Safety

Summer is the season of exciting events and celebrations and, with these festivities, come fireworks and sparklers!

While the excitement and spectacle of fiery summer displays is common enough, it’s also important to remember that they can be dangerous if not treated with care. Even something as harmless as a sparkler can get hot enough to burn through clothing. So, to prevent burn injuries, exercise extreme caution when lighting and holding fireworks, and be sure to monitor your children closely while celebrating.

Safety Recommendations:

  • Read and follow the manufacturer’s safety instructions and warnings.
  • Do not try to make your own fireworks; use only those that are commercially manufactured.
  • Only light fireworks outside in an open space.
  • Obey local ordinances regarding private fireworks usage.
  • Have a bucket of water handy in case of emergencies.
  • If a firework does not go off, do not try to relight it. Instead, wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
  • Never light a firework in a glass or metal container.
  • Do not drink alcohol while lighting fireworks—they can pose burning hazards if you are not careful.

Protection for Your Pets:

Like thunderstorms or the vacuum cleaner, fireworks may frighten your family pets. To protect your pets from the stresses resulting from the loud noises of fireworks:

  • Keep pets indoors, away from loud noises, in a place that is comfortable to them.
  • Allow pets to go to the bathroom before beginning your fireworks show to prevent accidents.

And Remember: Sparkler fireworks are especially fun for children. Once children are old enough, allow them to hold a sparkler under your guidance. Those who are younger than 12 years old should not hold sparklers and should remain spectators only.

To learn more, contact Access Insurance Group Ltd today.