It may sound surprising, but 25% of fatal falls are from a height of fewer than 4.5 meters (14.7 FT).
Falls are one of the most common causes of serious injury and death at work. If you work from heights, a careless mistake could turn into a costly accident.
Here are some quick tips to keep everyone safe on the job when working from heights.
- No matter what height you are working from, make sure that you can safely get to and from any area.
- Wear personal protective equipment and personal fall arrest equipment as required for the job.
- Perform regular preventative maintenance on ladders and other lift equipment.
- Ensure that ladders and other equipment will support the weight of everyone on the worksite.
- Clearly outline the emergency and evacuation procedures in case of an emergency.
- If you notice any potential workplace hazards, promptly report them to your manager immediately.
- Don’t overload your ladder. Check the label on the ladder to make sure it is capable of supporting both you and your equipment before using it.
- When standing on a ladder, don’t overreach.
- Never rest a ladder against unstable or weak surfaces.
- Don’t use ladders to increase the working height of a scaffold.
To learn more about fall prevention and how to protect your business from risk, contact Access Insurance Group Ltd. today.